Terms of ServiceBy establishing an account with Gaia Host Collective LLC (Gaia Host), you agree to the following Terms of Service (TOS).
Privacy is Standard
Your privacy is a critical part of our operations. Our policy is to protect customer privacy and data. We use industry standard security measures to protect your data.
All data that you upload into your Account at Gaia Host is owned by you. You can provide limited access for other people to your Account as authorized Administrative, Technical or Billing Contacts.
The contact information you provide for your Account is used only by Gaia Host to contact you as it relates to ongoing operations and customer support of your Account Services. If you make payment with a credit card, your contact information related to the payment method is made available to our payment processor to complete the transaction.
We will not sell, rent, or give your Contact Information or private data to anyone else.
The Domains you register with Gaia Host have privacy protected WHOIS directory listings as a standard part of all Domain Registration services.
Privacy through Security
SSL should be used at all times to protect your privacy. The Gaia Host Account control panel and Gaia Host Webmail is protected all the time with SSL encryption.
Email Hosting services (POP3, IMAP, SMTP) are available with SSL encryption, though you can opt for non-encrypted settings.
FTP access is available with SSL.
SSH is available for some Account Services and we recommend the use of SSH keys.
SSL encryption and SSL certificates are available as an add-on service for your Web Hosting services.
Gaia Host utilizes datacenters that are HIPAA and SSAE 16 Type II compliant.
Service Level Agreement
Gaia Host Collective guarantees 99.9% uptime of all our Internet Hosting services. That means less than 8 hours of downtime per year is expected.
In the case of an unplanned outage we will create and update a Status Alert on our web site and send out communications through email to designated Account Contacts
We back our guarantee with 1 day of service credit for any hour of unplanned downtime in a month, up to a maximum of 30 days service credit per month. To request a credit for a Service Outage, please call or email us.
We will make a best effort to notify you in advance of any planned downtime. Notifications will be sent as an email to designated Account Contacts and Status Alerts will be posted on our web site. You can not apply for a Service Outage credit for planned maintenance downtime.
Gaia Host performs daily backups of all data. Backups are archived for two weeks. We can recover from backup to any day from the previous two weeks. There is no charge for a straight backup restoration.
Customer Support Response Times
Gaia Host Business Hours are defined as 7:00am to 7:00pm Eastern Time Monday through Friday.
The following holidays are considered outside of Business Hours: New Years Eve/Day, Martin Luther King Day, May Day, Memorial Day, Summer Solstice, July 4th, Labor Day, Thanksgiving, Winter Solstice, Christmas Eve/Day
Email requests sent to or are tracked in our customer support email system. We will endeavor to respond to your email as soon as possible. If you do not get a response within your desired timeframe, please call us at our phone number below to escalate your request to the top of our list.
General customer support is available through the phone during Business Hours: 1-800-672-8060
Urgent Support is available 24x7x365 with a maximum 15 minute response time for emergencies and service outages: 1-800-672-8060 x0
You can choose from three billing cycles. The base Internet Hosting services for your Account are billed as pre-paid services for the Billing Cycle you prefer. Invoices are sent 15 days before the start of the Service Cycle and have 30 day payment terms.
Billing Cycle Options (see below for discounts):
- 3 Months
- 6 Months
- 1 Year
All Invoices and Billing related notices are sent through email to the Billing contacts on your Account. You can have more than one Billing contact on your Account, so that multiple people will get the Billing related communication.
Postal Mailed invoicing is available for a $3.50 fee per mailed invoice and requires you to be on the 1 year Billing Cycle.
Payment for the Invoice is due within 30 days of Invoice Date. Invoices not paid within 30 days of invoice date are subject to a 1% Late Fee per month, with a minimum $5 late fee per invoice. If your Account is on a 6 month or Yearly billing cycle with the Billing Cycle Discounts, the Billing Cycle Discounts will be debited back to your Account if payment is made late.
If payment is not received within 60 days of Invoice date, your Account Services are subject to suspension. In the case of a suspension it can take up to 24 hours for Account Services to be live again across the Internet.
If your payment is late, we will send you several notices via email over the days approaching the 60-day past due mark and will also attempt to reach you by phone.
We would like to work with you if you need to make a payment late. You can request a payment plan at anytime by emailing or calling us.
We accept payment through the following methods:
- Payment by Check or Money Order through the Postal Mail for any balance due
Gaia Host Collective
PO Box 622
Greenfield, MA 01302
- Payment by Credit/Debit Card or Paypal e-check for balances less than $500
- Payment by bank wire/ACH for balances more than $250.
Payments by check that bounce are subject to a $30 handling fee.
Additional Usage Based Services
Your Account Services come with Base Allocations of resources for a variety of services. Review the Account Services you are subscribed to for information on what the Base Allocations are. You may monitor your Usage at any time through the My Account control panel on the Gaia Host web site.
Usage Based Services Include:
- Email Mailboxes
- Email Newsletter Subscribers
- Discussion Listserv Subscribers
Your Account will accrue additional usage charges on a monthly basis if your usage is more than the Base Allocations that come with your Account Services.
Additional Usage items are billed after the actual usage has occurred.
If the amount used exceeds the Credit Limit on your account then an invoice will be sent to you for payment every month. If your additional usage is less than your Credit Limit and your Billing Cycle is not up, then a configurable monthly notice will be sent to you as an email detailing your additional usage.
Accounts Outside the United States
If you are based outside of the Unites States, then we will require pre-payment prior to the activation of your Account Services.
Account Cancellation and Closing
Accounts may be canceled at any time by the Account Owner by calling or emailing Gaia Host (firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-800-672-8060). Accounts in good standing will be refunded any pre-paid services in excess of 30 days from cancellation date. Accounts that are past due must pay for services through 30 days after the cancellation date. All data stored in your Account will be completely removed from Gaia Host infrastructure within two weeks of Account closing.
Acceptable Use Policy
Gaia Host is committed to good Internet citizenship and we expect the same from our Customers. Your Account may be suspended if any of the following occur on your Account:
- send out unsolicited commercial email (UCE, commonly known as SPAM); this includes email sent by you directly or generated by your web site
- knowingly and maliciously post, transmit, reproduce or distribute any information or software which contains a virus or other harmful component;
- violate any local, state, national or international law, except in the context of thoughtful, nonviolent civil disobedience;
- infringe the rights of any third party, including but not limited to intellectual property rights and privacy or publicity rights;
- knowingly and maliciously interfere with the proper operation of the Gaia Host system, including but not limited to defeating identification and authentication procedures, obtaining access beyond that which you are authorized for, and impairing the availability, reliability, or quality of service for other customers;
- knowingly interfere with the proper operation of other systems reachable through the Internet, including any attempt at unauthorized access; or
- knowingly run software through your account which has been exploited for any of the purposes listed above, or knowingly allow such software to run after such an exploit has been disclosed to you.
If your account is suspended for any of the reasons listed above, you will still be held financially liable for any resource usage beyond the base allocations for your account.
All Gaia Host services are at-will and may be suspended at any time for violation of these policies, for any other reason or for no reason, though this has never happened and we hope it never needs to.
Gaia Host offers a variety of discounts. You can request discounts at the time of Account Setup or any time while you have service with us. Discounts can not be made retroactive.
- Billing Cycle Discounts available as 2% for 6 Month Billing Cycle or
5.5% for Yearly Billing Cycle
Accounts with no hosting services (domain registrations only) are not eligible for pre-payment discounts.
- 10% Reciprocal Link Discount. Display a small link on your website identifying Gaia Host Collective as your web host and receive a 10% discount.
- 10% Ally Discount. This is for our Allies that are being the change we wish to see! Organizations or individuals that are creating an Account for a cooperative, artists, local or organic farming and CSA's, or other socially positive work endeavors can request this discount.
- 10% Non-Proﬁt Discount. If your organization is non-profit or not-for-profit you qualify for a 10% discount.
- 20% - 90% Needs-Based Non-Profit Discounts: If your organization is a non-profit in need, then please request our simple application for needs-based non-profit discounts. We donate about 20% of our services to non-profits.